Join in worship at 10:00 a.m. Sundays during this Lenten season with St. John’s service of Word and Sacrament.
Sunday school will not meet prior to worship, but nursery care will be available during worship.
Fellowship Hour, which usually follows worship, will be cancelled also
Dear St. John’s members and friends,
St. John’s Church Council has decided that worship will be held at St. John’s Sundays at 10 a.m. with the following prudent precautions:
- Please enter the sanctuary through the large wooden doors facing 49th Street.
- If you need the elevator for access, the office lobby doors will be open.
- Fellowship Hall doors will remain closed. Other areas may be noted as off limits to contain traffic and touchpoints.
- On entering, the greeters will have hand sanitizer available for you to apply.
- Bulletins will have been placed in the pews rather than being handed out; sitting where there is a bulletin will help to maintain some distance between worshipers…there is plenty of room to spread out in St. John’s sanctuary! The MDH-recommended distance is 6′ between persons (or families).
- During the offering, greeters will extend the offering plates to you for your contribution rather than passing the plates.
- Communion will be offered in continuous fashion, without kneeling at the altar, using wafers and individual cups extra-spaced in the trays.
- Please take your bulletin home with you to recycle yourselves; we will not be reusing them as we’d planned during Lent!
- We will not meet for Fellowship Hour following worship.
- Sunday School will not meet; nursery will still be available during worship.
- Also note – Midweek Lenten Meals/Services will not be held for the time being.
Each person is encouraged to make their own wise choice as to whether to attend Sunday’s worship in person. If you feel vulnerable for any reason, are sick, or know that you have been exposed to COVID-19, please do not feel any obligation to come.
We are planning ways to remain connected even though there may be times we cannot be together.
- We will begin live-streaming our worship hour via Facebook live this Sunday. View online at 10:00 a.m. at www.facebook.com/StJohnsMpls
- You are urged to establish a Facebook account if you are not currently on Facebook, then click ‘like’ and ‘follow’ on St. John’s Facebook page so that you can receive notifications on your computer/smartphone of updates posted (mostly daily) by Pastor Mark during this time of constantly changing information in our community. He will most likely be posting something later today.
- We also are creating a St. John’s Phone Tree. Initially the purpose is to connect with members who may be physically or socially isolated. We believe this is particularly important due to the coronavirus outbreak. Older adults and people with serious, chronic medical conditions are at higher risk. Eventually our hope is to extend this phone tree to all members. Currently we will focus on matching callers with callees. Please consider being a caller. Let Ann in the office know if you are interested. We’ll also have sign-up sheets available at church.
We proactively do these steps as we continually discern God’s call for St. John’s to be a people of welcoming, worship, healing and serving during an anxious time.
The Church Council
St. John’s Lutheran Church