Minnesota’s first Lutheran congregations were formed in 1854, all worshiping in the Swedish and Norwegian languages. German Lutheran congregations formed the following year during the immigration boom in the upper Midwest.
On May 29, 1883, St. John’s Lutheran Church was formed by Pastor George H. Trabert and seven charter members as a mission congregation in Minneapolis. It was the first English speaking Lutheran church in the Twin Cities area. St. John’s had two locations before a formal merger with St. James’ Lutheran Church and the purchase of property on 49th Street and Nicollet Avenue in Washburn Park, Minneapolis.
The oral tradition and architectural history at St. John’s Church is rich and plentiful. Two devoted members compiled a detailed and informative history of the church for the 100th anniversary in 1983. Dorris and Ruth Flesner’s book can be found in the church library and contains valuable information about architecture, leadership, and ministry at St. John’s.
Each season brings new life to the St. John’s Church story – new people, new outreach, new activities – which are welcomed into the tale of this congregation in South Minneapolis. While we remember the past with great love, we look forward with joy. God has good things in store for St. John’s and we invite you to worship with us and be a part of all that is to come!