St. John’s places a high value on music, especially in worship. Although the congregation is small, our choir is comparable in size and skill level to congregations that are much larger. Our music program also includes many instrumentalists, including St. John’s Brass, and vocalists besides the choir. We welcome new participants anytime! Our singers and instrumentalists enjoy making music together in worship and invite you to consider participating in the following groups:
- St. John’s Choir (SATB) is comprised of high school students and adults (Kira Winter, director). Rehearsals are on Wednesdays 7:30-8:30 in Fellowship Hall and the choir sings in worship most Sundays and holidays September-May.
- St. John’s Brass rehearses on Wednesdays 6:45-7:30 in the Chapel and plays in worship about once per month.
- The handbell choir has a lot of fun rehearsing about once a month and plays in worship that often.
- Soloists and Small Ensembles, both instrumental and vocal, enrich our worship, not only during the summer, but also throughout the year.
- Choir Accompanists often volunteer and bless us with their gifts.
- Our hymnal Evangelical Lutheran Worship includes old and new hymns for everyone to enjoy.
St. John’s Oratorio Chorus, a community choir directed by Kira Winter, is based at St. John’s Church. Singers come from not only Minneapolis, but all over the Twin Cities metro area. Its annual performances of Handel’s Messiah have been a tradition since 1990. More information about Messiah performances and other musical events in the St. John’s Music Series can be found here.